Micklegate & Priory Street
The site on which the Priory Street Centre stands lies within what was the Roman Colonia fort of Eboracum, and in the southwest portion of the medieval town of York.
The site was once part of a much larger seven-acre monastery and Benedictine priory, the Holy Trinity Church to the rear of the Priory Street Centre on Micklegate is all that remains of the priory.
Micklegate was once the main entry point to the city and the Priory, which would have been the first port of call for travellers and pilgrims. It was via Micklegate Bar that Henry VII arrived to the town of York first in 1486, and again in July 1487 accompanied by a thousand noblemen to quash a plot to depose him.
The Priory Street Centre
Opened in 1857, the Priory Street School was originally part of the Assembly of God Church – now the Q Church. Pupil numbers rose swiftly, and by 1870 there was said to be 600 boys, girls and infants along with a teacher’s residence.
The school was extended in 1905 and by 1932 split into two departments: senior mixed and junior mixed. In addition to the normal curriculum, composition, book-keeping, algebra, Euclid, mensuration, land surveying, advanced drawing, and ornamental penmanship classes were also taught.
In 1936 only the senior department was left, remaining under Methodist management until it was closed in 1948.
The Priory Street Centre is home to a bronze plaque, sitting proudly in the CVS office, commemorating those from the school that lost their lives in the first world war.